Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Cute Tee Shirt Refashioning

So I apologize, sweet world of the internets. I’ve had an incredibly busy last month, and as a result I’ve been playing a hideous game of catch-up as far as my work is concerned. Where have I been, you ask? Well, I’ve been off doing things like fighting terrorism (read: annual two week training for the National Guard), playing music (in public!), and failing to see the sunshine (or the cool breeze of air conditioning… because I don’t have any). Now that I am relatively caught up, I’m updating this blog. Tonight I planned to spend some time watching movies and doing work, and that is still in the cards. I did take a couple of hours, however, to work on a little project I’ve been planning—because I haven’t had time to do so many crafty things as of late, and I love a fab green clothing project… but mostly because I wanted something to wear tomorrow when I go out with the girls.

Here it is:

I of course failed to take a “before” photo, but rest assured that it started out as a men’s plain, size small Aeropostale tee shirt. Solid, no frills. I snagged it at a Goodwill months ago and it’s been waiting a good ole refashioning. I absolutely love the fabric. So comfortable! I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it, but after several hours on the glorious timesuck that is Pinterest, I found some inspiration and got to work. I really enjoyed playing with the fun, feminine rosettes—as it was my first time ever making or working with them. This shirt was incredibly easy to make and took me all of an hour and a half.

[a closeup of the detailing]

Here are the easy steps that you use to make it. I don’t have step-by-step photos, but I assure you it is not that serious. I didn’t bother measuring a thing.

  1. Cut sleeves off of tee shirt.
  2. Cut across the top in a straight line, roughly two inches from the bottom of the collar of the tee shirt.
  3. I put pleats on the front, mostly because I thought it would give the shirt a bit more form and I thought, “What the hell? Why not?” I don’t think it’s 100% necessary, but if you want to, now is the time to do so.
  4. Sew a tube on the top of both sides, so that you can string through.
  5. I used a few strips from the top portion we cut off, near the collar, to make my straps. I cut three strips, sewed them together, and pulled so that the tee shirt material kind of buckles on itself and forms a tube/strip.
  6. String through both sides.
  7. Tie in a bow.
  8. I created the rosettes with the hem of the sleeves, because it provided a nice finish.
  9. I cut out three little leaves to add a bit more jazz.
  10. Sew that crap on in a way that you think looks nice.
  11. Voila! Cute tank top from a tee shirt.

The great thing about tee shirt fabric is that it doesn’t really unravel… so I kind of skip the hemming process altogether. Mostly because I’m lazy. Sometimes lazy fashion can be good fashion.

Either way, I hope you all have had a wonderful month, and I will leave you with a fantastic photo of me doing my Army thing—because it’s pretty rad. That’s right, this girl can sew and work on helicopters.




Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Share it here!