Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Human Trafficking Say What?

So I watched a movie last night called Taken. When the boy explained to me the premise of the movie, I was expecting a Liam-Neeson-kicking-ass-and-taking-names kind of a movie. It certainly was so, but I didn't realize the movie had so much to do with Human Trafficking! It was really crazy to visually witness those sort of brothels these pigs create and populate with drugged up teenage girls they happened to kidnap at airports in Europe. I knew it happened, I've even done some advocacy work for raising awareness, but seeing it was really eye opening and heart breaking.

However, I would like to say kudos to the movie makers. I'm not sure they were thinking widespread awareness when they made the film, but it's nice to see that it can open a few eyes while exploiting a very serious human rights issue worldwide... I feel I'll be writing an article on this in not too long.

Regardless, if you would like to find some information on human trafficking, check out The Polaris Project. They do some really wonderful things, including both local and national programs. Get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Share it here!