Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Friday Five: Blast from the Past Edition

There was a very obvious theme running through my week, and it all kind of centered around one of my new favorite time periods in history: the 50s and 60s. Aside from learning a good deal about the Civil Rights Movement and the war in Vietnam, I hadn’t really been all that exposed to the culture of these decades. I thought it was all poodle skirts and chocolate malts at the diner. Whereas these are the stereotypical icons of the 50s, there is a whole lot more to learn and discover about this incredible time period. I can’t say I’d ever want to live in that time period, and certainly I wouldn’t want us to go back to the ways of old, but I can say that it is incredibly fascinating. And I’m a little less than obsessed right now. So here are this week’s Friday Five:

1. Edith Piaf

Along with things 50s, I’ve also become rather enamored with things French. Edith Piaf happens to be both. I could really include a whole number of artists here, all of those that I hear frequently on my French CafĂ© Pandora Station—Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong… Though I’ve heard all of these artists in movies and films, I had never really sat down and listened enough to gain a real appreciation. I’m happy to say that has changed. Edith kind of stood out for me, and I grabbed a copy of La Vie en Rose from the library and enjoyed it, as well as a biography of the woman, which I have yet to start. You may know her as the woman that sang the kick song from Inception... but she had a fascinating life, and is certainly not the classy, pretty face you would expect her to be.

2. Vintage Clothing

I wrote an entire post about vintage clothing this week, so I’m certainly not going to bore you all to tears beating the dead horse. I’m just loving 50s and 60s fashion in general, and I see a lot of it popping up in more updated ways all over the web right now. It’s got me hankering for more high waisted skirts and cardigans… bring on the fall wardrobe!!

3. Mad Men on Netflix


I watch very little TV. Truth be told, I haven’t had cable since I lived at my parents’ house… which hasn't been for the last 6 years or so. When a friend recommended Mad Men last year, though, it opened up a can of worms. I absolutely love the show. I love the social undertones. I love the scandal. I love the costuming, and I love the characters—even the ones I hate I love to hate. I also love that Netflix put up the entire four seasons on instant queue. I had a whole season to catch up on, and needless to say… the whole of season four was watched in a matter of two days. If you have not experienced the greatness, I would highly recommend it.

4. The Linda

When I told my best friend I was headed to the Linda last Sunday, I was baffled that she responded, “What’s that?” Apparently I’m in on one of Akron’s great little secrets. The Linda Theatre, which is located in Goodyear Heights, is an old movie theatre indeed. It only hosts one screen, with a huge auditorium to seat it. It opened in 1945, and it definitely shows. They only show one movie at any given time, but the tickets are only $5. I’m saddened that this is actually the cheap price these days. I was pretty enraged when I found out the Regal charges $9… Thankfully I’m patient enough to let most movies hit the ‘Flix.

5. Eegah!

via

I got my first taste of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 a couple of weeks ago… and my friend insisted that “Eegah!” be my introductory film. I really enjoyed it for a couple of reasons. Not only is the entire concept and commentary from the silly bots enough to make this film hysterical, the film itself was a true testament of how terrible and awesome B-Movies from this era could really be. The ridiculous Elvis-esque musical interludes (from a guy that couldn’t even touch The King’s shadow), the incessant fainting of the damsel, and the glory (creature? mop?) that was Arch Hall Jr.’s hairdo. The original movie was produced in 1962, and it certainly shows. “Sorry about the face!” will forever and always have a place in my heart.

Hope you all are enjoying your last bits of summer!




Share


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? Share it here!